The very first thing Harry purchases after finding out he’s a wizard is his wand. It’s the single most essential tool a witch or wizard owns. Sometimes, however, you’re not always able to apparate over to Ollivander’s to get one. So here’s a tutorial on how to make your own Harry Potter wizard wand to tide you over until your next trip to Diagon Alley.
- Chopsticks (good for kids wands) OR
- Dowel rods (cut to desired length – perfect for teens/adults)
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue gun
- Using your hot glue gun, rotate the chopstick/dowel rod in your fingers to add glue to all sides. Add more glue at the end of the chopstick/dowel rod for your handle. Taper the glue out to the pointed end, about ¾ the length of the chopstick/dowel rod
- Allow glue to dry thoroughly
- Apply paint, making sure to get into the nook and crannies left by the glue
- Allow paint to dry thoroughly
- Give it a swish and a flick and remember…
This is a great DIY craft for both kids and adults. The adult (or an older child under adult supervision) could do steps 1 & 2 and kids of all ages could complete steps 3-5 with ease.